Sunday, November 10, 2013

The language is like gibberish to my ears

Family!!!! 

I finally made it to Korea! I never thought this day would actually happen. It is kind of crazy that I’m here out all on my own with my companion. I’m so used to having teachers and leaders all around me but now we are out here in the real world! The last day in the MTC was super emotional saying goodbye to our favorite teachers and fellow district. It’s hard leaving people you have spent 24/7 with and experienced so many challenges with. 

Jeeze the plane ride was the longest of my life. It was sooo uncomfortable trying to sleep. haha but I did talk to a lot of people on both plane rides. The first one to Detroit was a less active member and we talked about the gospel and that was a good experience. Even though she has some different stances on the gospel, we came off the plane as good friends I feel. Anyways.. Then I sat next to an American on the plane to Korea and we had good chats as well, He also gave me advice on how to not get jet lagged....idk if it really worked because I was exhausted. 

We took the subway from the airport and were to talk to many people on the subway. It was an interesting start to our new missionary experience! Apparently I talked to some drunken men... Idk why no one told me!  I’m so naive. But whatever, I guess I learn from my mistakes! I just thought they were tired.. We didn’t get to bed that night till 12:30. We stayed at the mission presidents super nice home and slept on our last real beds! I met my new companion the next day(Saturday)!  Her name is Sister Han Da Som, She is from the busan area in Korea and we are serving in the kang dong ward pretty close to the Han River. We are opening that area so there aren’t any investigators and we're starting fresh. 

We met the ward yesterday and I gave a little talk. The ward is super small. There’s about 30-40 active members and a ton of non active members. We have a lot of work to do! ahh. It’s a bit hard because my companion is more on the quiet side and doesn’t talk much..... so I am learning that I have to be the one to try and start conversations... This is super hard especially because I don’t know any KOREAN!!! I say something and people don’t understand.. so this is great! I feel like a buffoon!!!! Anyways, it will come with time a allllottt of studying!  We did our weekly planning session last night and I didn’t realize that missionary work entailed being a super expert at party planning!!! Thank goodness I learned a few things from my momma but not nearly enough! haha How do I get these members to come to activities and help them to invite their friends!? They don’t invite friends to anything or have time to help us out with teaching with members present! Any ideas??? This will be a fun week for sure! lots of hard work! It’s good I was raised by the craziest hardest workers ever! Hopefully I do you proud :) 

I’ve learned this week that I can’t get discouraged. At all. If I do, there is a barrier keeping me from doing my work as a missionary. This work is hard, but if I go about it with a positive attitude then I can accomplish more than I thought. It is hard not being able to be spiritually uplifted on Sundays because the language is like gibberish to my ears, but then I learn to be able to read doctrine and scriptures and uplift my spirit by my own efforts. So I have a goal this week to try to be the most positive I can be and not let the adversary get into my head and ruin me! I hope that makes sense! I love you! I think about a lot of my home ward :) those old memories make me happy and I hope this ward I can help here will be as great as my ward back home! They have taught me so much! I love you all!!!!!

Love

Sister Riley Wright



There was a piece of squid in my soup.  I avoided it at all costs!!!








No comments:

Post a Comment